Netflix is amazing isn't it? Doesn't it just knock your very own children down one notch on the list of things you value most? Aw, it is great though huh?
One of the many things I like to do on Netflix besides binge watch melo-dramas starring adults playing teenagers is watch Stand-Up Comedy! You can do that there and they have hundreds upon hundreds of options.
Below, I list my top five recent favorites. Specials I have rewatched the week I saw them. They range from straight forward to a tad unique. Enjoy! And please, watch these if you hadn't yet...
5. Shane Mauss: Mating Season - Shane Mauss is back with his second special. The first one, "Jokes To Make My Parents Proud" is not currently available on Netflix but is more than worth checking out. Get you some! Shane puts dating into perspective in a way no other comedian could in this new special. Not your typical "men are from mars women are from *FART NOISE!" take on dating but more of a "primal" approach. Check this one out and enjoy a look into human relationships at its finest.
4. Sklar Brothers: What Are We Talking About - I have been a fan of these two since the late nineties. Twin Brothers Randy and Jason Sklar perform tandem and it is great! One of the most interesting things about this special to me was the opener. They did something unique with the "Hey this is the special skit video" at the beginning and built a running joke with it through the special. The jokes were also very fresh and unique and the brothers have a great style of comedy playing off of one another. Just watch it, can't continue without spoiling it here.
3. Joan Rivers: Don't Start with Me - 2012; 78 years old and performing a full out comedy special! And this one is spectacular! High energy and Joan doesn't skimp on the act outs. She gets down on the stage and mimics sensual acts as well as running around the stage. The introduction to the show prepares the proper groups for the on coming insults and during the special, Joan promises that she will get to the jokes she prepared for the special once she gets these groups and people out of the way. Well, she never does... and it is still an hour! Check this one out folks, if it's the only one, for god sakes, you owe it to yourselves.
2. Reggie Watts: Why $#!+ So Crazy? - I had never seen a Reggie Watts set before this. I had only seen one episode of the Television show where he is the DJ. That said, I was blown away. Though strange at times, I had no problem tuning in to Reggie's frequency and following along. Watts performs jokes, nonsensical at times and segues into song using editing to reinforce the atmosphere created for the show. This is a good one to get baked to or to feel baked to even while fully sober. Weird.
1. Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special - Maria Bamford has been one of my favorite comedians for a very long time now. This for me is a definitive special for Maria. She takes us inside of her word like no other comedian could. She took the source of her talent and many of her jokes, her parents, and made them her only audience, besides the piano player and the film crew. This is a great look into Bamford's world and brain. You will have to check this one out to see what I am eve talking about. ENJOY!
More Great Reads