We started with the AFC West a couple weeks ago now we are going to talk the AFC East... and with a lot of "need" in this division you can expect these teams to spend quite a bit of money this offseason. So let's get started, shall we?
New York Jets
Going into last season the jets assumed they had two great young QB's, stellar Defense, and a Head Coach that could take them to the promise land. What a difference a year makes. Rex Ryan seems he has one more chance to win in NY before he is booted out the door without a foot to stand on, ok no more foot jokes but the fact of the matter is Sanchez can not get it done, they refuse to trust Tebow, and now they aggravated they best player on there team Darelle Revis with trade rumors. Jets fans it is not gonna get any better but here is what I feel can make your team better.
1) Trade Revis for picks. It does not make it better but the last thing you need is another locker room headache no matter how great he is. You can acquire a 1st and 3rd for Revis easy that will dump cap and allow you to make more picks and possibly make a move for a QB in the 2nd which you so desperately need to do.
2) Sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Amahd Bradshaw. Now, I am not saying that Sanchez has not had his chances but he will be your starter going into next season and could use an RB such as Bradshaw to lighten the workload for Sanchez a good RB will help you control the clock. You will need to fill the void of Revis leaving and DRC is not the best CB to do that but playing along side his Brother Antonio may develop a quick chemistry in the secondary.
3) Get a Linebacker. The draft is where you can do this and my personal choice would be Alec Ogletree. Yes, off the field issues have been a problem for Ogletree but he could be an immediate upgrade to your LB core.
In my opinion, the Dolphions are a team that showed they can have some success in this division with the right pieces. There biggest problem is losing to many pieces that they already have such as Reggie Bush, Jake Long, and others will hurt this team if not resigned. I feel this is what can make the Dolphins better.
1) Re-sign Jake Long. Tannehill had a lot of success in this offense last season and needs O-line help to continue that. Jake Long is probably the best O-lineman out there and you are not gonna get better with what you have.
2) Draft Eddie Lacy. You need a Running Back if bush leaves he will be the best on the board when your up to pick it just makes sense.
3) Mike Wallace, Mike Wallace, Mike Wallace. The Dolphins made a mistake trading Brandon Marshall and the only way to make it up is by signing the best WR in free agency.
The Bills are the biggest what-if in the league. For as many tremendous comebacks they had the past two seasons they have about the same amount of leads they lost to lose the game. My opinion here is how you fix that.
1) Get a Cornerback. This is going to be a huge issue if they do not get the secondary in order. There will be a lot of good names out there one that comes to mind is Nmandi Asomouga. He has not been released yet but when is go after him.
2) TE and Reciever. Its not Fitzpatrick's fault there i said it. I think he is a good QB who could win a championship with the right pieces around him. The two names that come to mind our Brett Myers TE and Dwayne Bowe WR. Myers showed he can play last year on the Raiders and Dwayne Bowe has been dynamic since his rookie season. Give Fitzpatrick a fair shake.
New England Patriots
For a team that just made it to the AFC Championship and the year before that the Super Bowl you would expect little tweaking from this team, Right? Wrong the Pats need help on the defensive side of the ball in the worst way possible. Here is what i think they should do.
1) Draft Tavon Austin. You need a deep threat here he is no need to waste money in free agency here is the next Terry Glenn. Austin is fast runs great routes and catches at a pro level this I feel is an obvious pick.
2) Ed Reed and Charles Woodson. Now I went on record saying the Patriots have a two year window left. Tom Brady signed the last extension of his career possibly for three years and less money. So, what do you do? get veteran guys who can help you win now on the defensive side of the ball that can get Brady one more shot at a Championship.
3) Fans: Stop jinxing your team. No more Billboards, arrogant remarks, talks of greatest team ever, none of that. Your team has a great coach, great QB, and a bad habit of aggravating the football gods. Just let the season play out.
-Stephen "Mr. Combine" Moul
Support WBOB Sports