By Scoop Fox
Happy Happy Hump Day everybody! This is Scoop Fox here with your weekly PawSox update. We’re now only less than two weeks away from AAA All-Star Break and the midway point of the season. Time sure does fly when you are playing baseball.
After enjoying a 6-game winning streak from June 22-27, the PawSox have lost 4 out of their 5 games up to this point. However they are still riding high in the IL North at 51-33 and 6 ½ games up on the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.
Just the Stats Jack
At the Plate:
• OF Bryce Brentz leads the team in HRs (16), RBIs (52), Total Bases (142).
• OF Jeremy Hazelbaker leads the team in Strikeouts (75) and Stolen Bases (22).
• INF Drew Sutton leads the teams in walks (38).
• OF Jackie Bradley Jr. continues to lead the team in Batting Average (.300), OBP (.387), Slugging (.529) and OPS (.916)
• RHP Terry Doyle leads all starters in wins (5), games played in (18) and is tied with RHP Steven Wright for strikeouts (64).
• Rubby De La Rosa leads the team in opponent batting average (.188) and ERA (2.47). He is also tied with Wright for most games started (15).
•Aside from being tied with Doyle for most K's, Steven Wright leads all starters in Innings Pitched (82.2), Walks (46), Complete Games (1) and Shutouts (1)..
De La Torre Domination
In the Bullpen:
•With Ryan Rowland-Smith on the DL, RP Pedro Beato now leads the bullpen in wins (5). Beato is also tied with RP Jose De La Torre in Innings Pitched (37.1)
• De La Torre also leads the bullpen in Strikeouts (45), Walks (19), and Opponent Batting Average (.152)
• CL Anthony Carter leads the bullpen in games played (30) and saves (13).
Staying Put for Now
Since the last PawSox Update, there hasn't been too much activity going on with player movement in Pawtucket. But with the MLB trade deadline looming, you can bet things will start to pick up.
• LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith placed on 7-day DL (appendicitis)
• RHP Chris Carpenter reinstated from DL
• INF Jonathan Diaz called up to Boston
• OF Ronald Bermudez and 1B/OF Mark Hamilton reinstated from DL
• OF Mitch Maier placed on 7-day DL (strained oblique)
When Farm Animals Attack
Once the Railriders leave McCoy Stadium, the PawSox take to the road for a seven game trip. Their first opponent is the Rochester Red Wings at Rochester, New York from July 4-7. This would be the last match-up between the two teams in Rochester this season. The last time they met was back on April 20-22 in a 4-game series where both teams won 2 apiece.
Afterwards, they travel down to Allentown to take on the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs July 8-10. This would be the second trip down to Penssylvania for the PawSox. Last time they played back in April 8-10, they split 2 games while the third game was postponed due to rain. They will make that game up on July 8th.
This is Scoop Fox, signing off.
Support WBOB Sports