Ryan L. Fox
Hello to all PawSox fans. Welcome to another episode of the PawSox Weekly Notebook here on the WBOB Sports. This week, we saw the calendar year go from May and into June, officially marking that summer is upon us. With the changing of the seasons, the race for the Governors’ Cup will intensify as the PawSox look to have a better June in 2016 than they did in 2015. But with the team up in Boston struggling (especially on the mound), you could see a lot of arms in Pawtucket get called up frequently to pitch at the MLB level.
A Week in Review
The PawSox closed up May with a 6-4 victory over the Gwinnett Braves in Lawrenceville, Georgia to finish with a 14-16 record for the month. However during that game, the PawSox suffered a massive loss to the team as starting first baseman Sam Travis tore his left ACL, thus ending his 2016 season with the team. The team then began the month of June with the final game of the series against the Braves this past Wednesday. However the game was cancelled due to weather and would not be made up on a later date since that game would have been the season finale between the two teams (PawSox ended up taking the season series against the Braves 3 games to 2).
After finishing up their stay in Lawrenceville, the PawSox traveled up north to Norfolk, Virginia, to face the Norfolk Tides for the final series between the two teams for the season over the weekend (6/2-6/5). Already the two teams faced each other at McCoy Stadium back on May 16 to May 18. The PawSox ended winning the series (2 games to 1). Already two games were played between the two teams. The PawSox took Game 1 on Thursday in a 3-1 that took 14 innings while the Tides barely edged the PawSox in a close 3-2 Game 2 this past Friday.
Where They Stand
With June just starting up, the PawSox are currently hovering below the .500 mark in the North Division of the International League at 26-28 (.481). This include a 12-15 record at home and a 14-13 record on the road. They are also currently 4.5 game behind divisional leaders Scranton/Wilks Barre Railriders and the Rochester Red Wings (each team at 31-24 (.564)).
Just the Stats Jack
The following statistics are from players currently playing on the PawSox Triple-A squad. This excludes players who were called up, traded, currently on the disabled list, or currently on the temporary inactive list.
*At the Plate
(*=min. 65 at-bats)
- RF Bryce Brentz leads the team in batting average (.317)* and on-base percentage (.356*)
- CF Ryan LaMarre leads the team in steals (6)
-1B Sam Travis leads the team in games played (45), runs scored (26), hits (47), and RBIs (29)
-OF Chris Marrero leads the team in games played (49), runs scored (24), hits (50), total bases (93) home runs (10), RBIs (28), slugging percentage (.511)*, and OPS (.839)*
-SS Deven Marrero leads the team in at-bats (185)
-OF Justin Maxwell leads the team in walks drawn (19) and is tied with LF Rusney Castillo for team lead in hit-by-pitch (3 each)
Start You Pitchers
(*= min. 30 IP)
- SP William Cuevas leads the team in innings pitched (54.1), games pitched (9), ERA (2.98)*, and games started (9). He also is tied with teammate SP Henry Owens for team lead in wins (4 wins apiece)
- Owens team lead in opposing batting average (.212)* and hit batters (6)
- SP Roenis Elias leads the team in strikeouts (45) and strikeouts per 9 innings (9.8)
- SP Sean O’Sullivan leads the team in WHIP (1.00)* and complete games (1)
Outta Da Pen
(*= min. 7 appearances)
- RHP Kyle Martin leads the team in game appearances (16), strikeouts (34), strikeouts per 9 innings (11.6), and games finished (12). He is also tied with LHP Robby Scott for team lead in WHIP (1.06 each)
- Scott leads the team in wins bullpen wins (3) and innings pitched (34.0)
- RHP Anthony Vavaro leads the team in holds (4). He is also tied with RHP Pat Light for team in saves (3 each).
- Light leads the team in opposing batting average (.183)*
-LHP Wesley Wright leads the team in ERA (2.16)*
The following team transaction began from May 28 all the way to June 4th.
- Received SP Aaron Wilkerson from Portland (AA)
- Sent RHP Mike McCarthy to Portland (AA)
- Placed SP Aaron Wilkerson on the Temporary Inactive List
- Received SP Keith Couch from Portland (AA)
- Placed 1B Sam Travis placed on 7-day disabled list (torn left ACL)
- SP Eduardo Rodriguez finished his Injury Rehab Assignment and was recalled back to Boston (MLB)
- Received RHP Heath Hembree from Boston (MLB) and was immediately activated after reporting to Pawtucket
- Sent OF Rusney Castillo to Boston (MLB) while OF Jackie Bradley, Jr. is on paternity leave
- Sent RHP Noe Ramirez to Boston (MLB)
- Received SP Joe Kelly from Boston (MLB)
- Sent SP Keith Couch to Portland (AA)
- Reinstated SP Aaron Wilkerson from the Temporary Inactive List
- Received OF Rusney Castillo from Boston (MLB)
The PawSox will continue their weekend series against the Norfolk Tides with Game 3 on Saturday (6/4) at 7:05 p.m. and Game 4 on Sunday (6/5) at 1:05 p.m., pending weather. After finishing their game on Sunday, the PawSox will be heading back home to McCoy to play a 4-game weekday series against the 25-28 (.472) Toledo Mud Hens (the Triple-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers) from June 6 to June 9.
After the Mud Hens, the PawSox will host a 3-game weekend series against the 28-26 (.519) Louisville Bats (the Triple-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) from June 10 to June 12. This will be the first time this season that the PawSox will facing both teams.
Support WBOB Sports