By Scoop Fox
Breathe a sigh of relief, because Scoop Fox is back after an All-Star Break siesta. As the dog days of summer are now upon us, we gear up for the second half of the 2013 baseball season. With teams ready to make that push for the playoffs, Scoop Fox is ready to pounce on the stories and provide PawSox nation with all the key updates of their beloved team.
Where They Stand
The PawSox ended the 1st half of the 2013 season with a summer swoon, losing 11 of their last 12 games including a 9-game skid. However they started things off with a victory over the Durham Bulls last Thursday to push them to 54-44 and 4.0 games above the Rochester Red Wings for first place in the IL North Division.
At the All-Star Break, the PawSox were 53-44. This their 3rd consecutive year where they won 50+ games before the All-Star Break. They were 52-41 in 2011 and 51-41 in 2012 around the All-Star Break, both times they made the playoffs.
Just the Stats JackJeremy Hazelbaker up to bat
At the plate:
• OF Bryce Brentz still leads the team in at-bats (302), hits (82), HRs (16), RBIs (53), and total bases (147)
• OF Jeremy Hazelbaker leads the team in games played (83), strikeouts (88) and stolen bases (24).
• Hazelbaker is also tied with teammate INF Drew Sutton in team lead of runs scored with 44 each. Sutton leads the teams in walks (44)
• OF Mitch Maier leads the team in batting average (.315)* and OBP (.435)*
• OF Jackie Bradley Jr. leads the team in slugging percentage (.521)* and OPS (.909)
(To qualify, player must have over 100 at-bats)
Wright is Right
• RHP Allen Webster lead in wins (5) and ERA (3.41) as well as opponent batting average (.195) and WHIP (1.09)
• LHP Chris Hernandez leads the team in games played in (21) and hits allowed (112)
• RHP Steven Wright leads the team in innings played (92.2), strikeouts (72) and walks (52). He's also tied with RHP Rubby De La Rosa with most games started (17).
Lefty from Down Under: Rowland-Smith
In the Bullpen:
• LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith leads the PawSox bullpen in ERA (1.03), innings played (43.2) and WHIP (0.87). He's also tied with fellow RHP Pedro Beato in bullpen lead for wins (5)
• RHPJose De La Torre leads the bullpen in opponent batting average (.146)
• RHP Chris Carpenter leads the team in walks allowed (22)
• RHP Anthony Carter leads the bullpen in games played (35), saves (13), strikeouts (53), and hits allowed (41).
I'll be Here All Week:
After last week’s hustle and bustle, things have settled down in Pawtucket, mostly in part to the All-Star Break. But as the old saying goes, there’s always a calm before the storm.
Going South for the Summer
With summer in full blaze and temperatures in the 90s, the PawSox take the road down south for 8 games. From July 18-21, they have a 4-game set against the Durham Bulls in Durham, the last match up between the two teams for the season. Then they go to the coast to Norfolk, Virginia to take on the Norfolk Tidewater from July 22-25 in their first season match up.
This is Scoop Fox, signing off.
Support WBOB Sports