By Scoop Fox
Hello everybody! Just when you thought that your week couldn’t get any better, it’s time for the 990WBOB Sports PawSox Weekly Update. The end of the season is nigh and the race for the playoffs is tightening up. Will the PawSox squeak in or will the 2012 Governors' Cup Champions sit this one out? Tune in to find out.
Where They Stand
There are 17 games left of the 2013 IL Season. Right now, the PawSox are making their playoff push. They've won six straight, putting them at 67-59. However they're still in second place in the IL North Division, one game back from the Rochester Red Wings
Call of the Wild
After trailing both the Buffalo Bison and Norfolk Tide for that high-coveted wildcard spot, the PawSox have reclaimed it. They sit 1.0 games above the 67-61 (.523) Norfolk Tides and 1.5 games above the 66-61 (.520) Buffalo Bison. If things continue the way they are, this would mark the 3rd season in a row that the PawSox got into the postseason via wildcard stemming back from 2011.
By Da Numbas
Here is your update statistics of your PawSox...
At the plate:
- OF Bryce Brentz leads the team in HRs (16), RBIs (53), and total bases (147)
- OF Jeremy Hazelbaker leads the team in games played (107), at-bats (382), hits (100), strikeouts (115), stolen bases (32), and runs scored (52)
- INF Drew Sutton leads the teams in walks (54)
- 1B/OF Mark Hamilton leads the team in slugging percentage (.498)
- OF Mitch Maier leads the team in OBP (.431)
- OF Alex Hassan also leads the team in batting average (.315) and OPS (.887)
- RHP Allen Webster leads all starters in wins (7), strikeouts (100), opponent batting average (.203), WHIP (1.16), and hit batters (15). His 7 wins ties him with RP Ryan Rowland-Smith for most wins by a PawSox pitcher.
- RHP Steven Wright leads all starters in innings pitched (113.1), complete games (2), complete game shutouts (2), ERA (3.65), hits allowed (110), walks allowed (56), and runs allowed (56). He is tied with fellow starter RHP Rubby De La Rosa in game played in (20) and games started (20).
In the Bullpen:
- LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith leads the PawSox bullpen in wins (7), ERA (1.64), and WHIP (1.01).
- RHP Jose De La Torre leads the bullpen in opponent batting average (.169)
- RHP Baryan Villareal leads the bullpen in walks allowed (27). He is also tied with RHPs Anthony Carter, Chris Carpenter, and Pedro Beato for team lead of hit batters (3)
- RHP Anthony Carter leads the bullpen in games appearances (45), innings pitched (55.1), strikeouts (71), saves (18), and hits allowed (52).
Player MovementRoss rehabing now in Pawtucket
There hasn’t been too much activity when it comes to player movement this time around.
- Reinstated OF Jackie Bradley Jr. from the Disabled-List
- Sent LHP Chris Hernandez to Double-A Portland
- Sent 3B Will Middlebrooks to Boston
- Received RHP Steven Wright and RHP Pedro Beato from Boston
- Received INF Heiker Meneses from Double-A Portland
- Sent OF Ronald Bermudez to Double-A Portland
- Placed RHP Charlie Haeger on Temporary-Inactive List
- Received C David Ross from Double-A Portland on rehab assignment
- Placed RHP Charlie Haeger on the Temporary-Inactive List
- Reinstated RHP Brayan Villarreal from the Disabled List
- Placed OF Alex Hassan on 7-Day Disabled List with fractured right middle finger
On August 13th, the Pawtucket Red Sox received C David Ross from Double-A Portland on a rehab assignment. A 12-year veteran in the majors, David Ross signed with the Red Sox this past off season primarily as a defensive catcher. In 23 games this season, he went 12-for-65 (.185) with 4 HR and 6RBI, scoring on 8 runs.
However Ross has spent most of the 2013 season on the disabled list due to concussions. He was put on the 60-DL on June 18th after complications from his second concussion (he spent from May 12th-24th on 7-day DL with first concussion). Ross began his rehab assignment on at Double-A Portland Sea Dogs on August 10th, appearing in three games. He went 2-for-6 (.333) with 1 BB, 2 RBI, and 2 Runs scored.
Currently as it stands, in 3 games in Pawtucket, Ross is 0-for-9 (.000) with 1 walk, 4 strikeouts, has an OBP of .100, slugging percentage of .000, and an OPS of .167. He will be eligible to return to Boston August 18th.
Craving Some Buffalo Wings
After finishing up with the Louisville Bats, the remaining opponents for the PawSox are all going to be IL North Divisional opponents. Up first will be the Buffalo Bison from August 17th to the 20th at McCoy.
This will be a crucial 4 game series because both teams are competing for the IL North Divisional title and the wildcard spot. The PawSox are 6-6 against the Bison this season, including 3-1 at McCoy.
That’s it for your PawSox weekly update. This is Scoop Fox, signing off.
Support WBOB Sports
Search For Your Favorite WBOB Author,