By Scoop Fox
Hello everyone! Just when you thought that your week couldn’t get any better; it’s time for the 990WBOB PawSox Weekly Update by the one and only Scoop Fox. You'll get your up-to-date PawSox info as well as a one-on-one interview with PawSox skipper Gary DiSarcina
I Will Survive
The PawSox recently survived a 9-game losing streak, their longest of the season. The losing streak stretched from July 4 to July 11, including losing all of their 8-games on the road against Rochester and Leigh Valley. However they are still in first place at 53-42, 3.5 games ahead of the Leigh Valley Iron Pigs in the IL North Division.
It's All About the Stats ManBryce Brentz Brings the Big Bat
At the plate:
• OF Bryce Brentz still leads the team in at-bats (302), hits (82), HRs (16), RBIs (53), and total bases (147)
• OF Jeremy Hazelbaker leads the team in games played (80), runs scored (44), strikeouts (82) and stolen bases (24). His 24 SBs ties him for 5th overall in the IL with RF Ezequiel Carrer of the Columbus Clippers
• INF Drew Sutton leads the teams in walks (44)
• OF Mitch Maier leads the team in batting average (.315), OBP (.435), and OPS (898)*
• 1B/OF Mark Hamilton leads the team in slugging percentage (.497)
Allen Webster is back baby
On the Mound:
• Allen Webster is now back in Pawtucket after a small stint at Boston. He assumes team lead in wins (5) and ERA (2.87) as well as opponent batting average (.175) and WHIP (1.01).
• Chris Hernandez leads the team in game played in (20), innings pitched (83.2), hits allowed (106), and walks allowed (39).
• Rubby De La Rosa leads the team in strikeouts (67).
In the Bullpen:
• Ryan Rowland-Smith continues to lead the PawSox in wins (5), ERA (1.03) and WHIP (0.87).
• Fellow relief pitcher Jose De La Torre leads the bullpen in strikeouts (48) and opponent batting average (.143)
• RHP Chris Carpenter leads the team in walks allowed (22)
• Closer Anthony Carter leads the bullpen in games played (34), saves (13), and hits allowed (40).
Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'
This past week, things have been pretty busy down in Pawtucket. With the injuries pilling up in Boston, a lot of PawSox are getting some face time up at the Boston level.
• Sent down RHP Terry Doyle to Double-A Portland
• Received LHP Drake Britton from Double-A Portland
• Sent RHP Jose De La Torre up to Boston
• Received RHP Clay Mortensen (following his designation for assignment) from Boston
• Sent up INF Brock Holt to Boston
• Received INF Jonathan Diaz from Boston
• Sent up RHP Alfredo Aceves to Boston
• Placed OF Bryce Brentz on 7-day DL with right knee sprain
• Received RHP Jeremy Kerht from Double-A Portland
• Sent down RHP Jeremy Kerht to Double-A Portland
• Sent up OF Jackie Bradley Jr. & RHP Brandon Workman to Boston
• Received OF J.C. Linares & LHP Will Latimer from Double-A Portland
• Signed LHP Eric Niesen from Long Island Ducks of the Independent League
• Received RHP Charlie Haeger from Double-A Portland
• Sent up RHPs Steven Wright & Pedro Beato to Boston
• Received RHPs Jose De La Torre and Alfredo Aceves from Boston
Taking a Break
The PawSox continue their home stand with the Rochester Red Wings into the weekend from July 13-14. Then it’s a 3-Day break for the boys in Pawtucket from July 15-17 due to the All-Star Break. They resume play July 18-21 with a 4-game series against the Durham Bulls in Durham, North Carolina.
Before the All-Star Break, Scoop Fox was able to get an interview with PawSox Skipper Gary DiSarcina about his team’s progress up to the season mid-way point. Let’s listen.
Scoop Fox with Gary DiSarcina of the Pawtucket Red Sox 7/12
This is Scoop Fox, signing off.
Support WBOB Sports