By Scoop Fox
Hello everybody. Just when you thought that your week couldn't get any better it’s time for the 990WBOB Paw Sox Weekly Update. The weather outside maybe be frightful, but this update is oh so delightful.
Where They StandPawSox can't catch a break
Things are starting to go into the red for the Paw Sox. Currently they are 57-48, giving them first place in the IL North Division. However this past week, they lost 4 out of 5 games. Because of that, the Rochester Red Wings are only 2.0 games back while the Buffalo Bison are just 3.5 games back.
Last year's squad had the same kind of summer swoon. Arnie's squad went 65-52 by August 6th before going 14-13, dropping them out of first place and into the wildcard spot, where we all know what happened next.
Cold, Hard StatsAlex struts his stuff
At the plate:
• OF Bryce Brentz still leads the team in HRs (16), RBIs (53), and total bases (147)
• OF Jeremy Hazelbaker leads the team in games played (90), at-bats (323), hits (87), strikeouts (95) and stolen bases (26). His 26 SBs places him for 6th overall in the IL.
• INF Drew Sutton leads the teams in runs (48) and walks (44)
• OF Mitch Maier leads the team in on-base percentage (.435)
• OF Jackie Bradley Jr. leads the team in slugging percentage (.509)
• We have a newcomer to the leader board in OF Alex Haasan. He leads the team in batting average (.319) and OPS (.932)
Rubby pitching a Gem
• RHP Allen Webster leads all starters in wins (5), opponent batting average (.203), and WHIP (1.20)
• LHP Chris Hernandez leads all starters in game played in (22) and hits allowed (118)
• RHP Steven Wright leads all starters in innings pitched (97.1), walks allowed (54), and strikeouts (74)
• RHP Rubby De La Rosa leads all starters in games started (19) and ERA (3.75)
In the Bullpen:
• LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith leads the PawSox bullpen in wins (5), ERA (1.03) and WHIP (0.87).
• RHP Jose De La Torre leads the bullpen in strikeouts (48) and opponent batting average (.146)
• RHP Chris Carpenter leads the team in walks allowed (25)
• RHP Anthony Carter leads the bullpen in games played (38), innings pitched (45.1), saves (15), and hits allowed (46).
I Like to Move It, Move It
All is still quiet on the Pawtucket front. With two free agent pitcher signings being assigned down to Pawtucket, it’s been quiet. A little too quiet. Next week is the MLB non-waiver trade deadline and with the talks of ‘bullpen help’ and ‘Cliff Lee to the Sox’, who knows which Paw Sox might find a new home.
• Placed RHP Alfredo Aceves on Temporary-Inactive List
• Sent up RHP Jose De La Torre to Boston
• Received free agent signings RHP Jose Contreras and RHP Brandon Lynn from Boston
• Received INF Brock Holt from Boston
• Sent OF J.C. Linares & LHP Matt Maloney to Double-A Portland
A new and fun addition to the PawSox update just to change things up. The following Red Sox prospects are down in Pawtucket and are listed according to their ranking on Baseball America.
1) Xander Bogaerts: Bogaerts continues to wow Red Sox scouts and fans alike with his bat. In his last 10 games, Boagerts batted a .286 (10-for-35) with 2 homers and 8 RBI with an OBP of .419, slugging of .600, and OPS 1.019. That includes a 6-game hitting streak starting from July 20th to today.
2) Jackie Bradley, Jr.: One of the overall better prospects in the Red Sox farm system. To go along with his team leading slugging percentage, Jackie is 3rd on the team in batting average (.378), OBP (.378) and OPS (.887). Jackie has displayed defensive prowess, committing 0 errors in 53 games in the outfield.
4) Allen Webster: Though he leads the starting rotation in wins and opponent batting average, Allen Webster has been struggling as of late. Since rejoining the Paw Sox on July 10th, he lost two straight starts:
* 4.2 innings, 8 Hits, 5 runs (all earned), 6 Ks, 1 BB, 9.64 ERA in loss on July 14th vs. Rochester Red Wings
* 1.1 innings, 3 Hits, 7 runs (all earned), 1 K, 5 BB, 47.25 ERA in loss vs. July 21st vs. Durham Bulls
Hopefully Webster will find his groove before he gets traded or shipped down to Double-A Portland.
8) Bryce Brentz: As mentioned above, Bryce Brentz is the team leader in home runs and RBI. Currently, he is on the 7-day DL and has been there since July 8th. However due to the overcrowding in the outfield (Jackie Bradley Jr., Shane Victorino, Ryan Kalish, Alex Haasan, Daniel Nava), playing time for Brentz will be limited.
After their more recent road trip, the Paw Sox begin another 8-game home stand. Their first opponent on the docket will be the Leigh Valley Iron Pigs from 7/26-7/29. Earlier this month, the Iron Pigs swept the Paw Sox over at Allentown, PA during their 9-game losing streak before the All-Star Break. Then the Paw Sox will get reacquainted with the Norfolk Tide for their first season match up at McCoy from 7/30-8/2.
This is Scoop Fox, signing off.
Support WBOB Sports
Search For Your Favorite WBOB Author,