The New Jersey Devils honored forward Patrik Elias in a pre-game ceremony for reaching multiple career milestones this season. Elias scored the 400th goal of his career on Feb. 6, becoming the 91st player in NHL history to accomplish the feat, and also recorded his 600th career assist on Jan. 6. The Devils' all-time leader in goals (401), assists (605) and points (401-605-1,006) became the 82nd player in NHL history to reach the 1,000-point milestone. Elias' next game will be the 1,200th of his NHL career, all which have been played as a member of the Devils.
KING, CARTER LIFT LOS ANGELES PAST COLUMBUS ...
Dwight King (1-1-2) and Jeff Carter (1-1-2) each posted two points to propel the Los Angeles Kings to a 4-3 win against the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Kings swept the season series against the Blue Jackets and are 23-18-12 (58 points) this season. With the win, Los Angeles moved within three points of the Vancouver Canucks, who occupy the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference with a record of 29-20-3 (61 points).
* King scored his eighth goal and added his seventh assist to post his second multi-point performance of the season. Carter netted his 15th goal and added his 23rd assist to record his 11th multi-point game of the season. Combined with the victory, Los Angeles is 11-0-0 this season when Carter records a multi-point game.
* Dustin Brown (1-0-1) netted his ninth goal of the season, which also stood as his third game-winning goal of the season and the 30th of his career. Brown passed Rob Blake and tied his teammate Anze Kopitar for fourth on the Kings' all-time game-winning goals list.
* Jonathan Quick made 23 saves and is 19-15-10 this season with a 2.52 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage.
... WHILE HARTNELL SKATES IN HIS 1,000TH CAREER GAME ...
Columbus forward Scott Hartnell (1-0-1) netted his 13th goal of the season while skating in the 1,000th game of his NHL career. He became the third player to skate in their 1,000th NHL game while playing for the Blue Jackets after Sergei Fedorov on Nov. 30, 2005 and Vinny Prospal on Nov. 25, 2011. Hartnell's parents, three siblings, some nephews and a few friends from his hometown of Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, were in attendance at Nationwide Arena to witness the feat.
... AND WILD KEEP PACE WITH SIXTH STRAIGHT WIN IN VICTORY AGAINST CANUCKS
Mikko Koivu (0-3-3) posted his first three-assist performance of the season to lead the Minnesota Wild to their sixth consecutive win via a 5-3 victory against the Vancouver Canucks. The Wild, who have also earned points in nine of their past 10 games (8-1-1), are 26-20-6 (58 points) this season and kept pace with the Kings by moving within three points of the Canucks, who occupy the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference. Minnesota is 6-1-0 in its past seven games versus the Canucks.
* Devan Dubnyk made 22 saves to extend his career-high winning streak to six games and is 17-6-2 overall this season with a 2.29 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage. In 10 straight starts since being acquired by Minnesota, Dubnyk has posted a record of 8-1-0 with a 1.49 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage.
* Dubnyk has backstopped the Wild to their six consecutive regulation victories. Minnesota has won six straight games in regulation for the first time since March 14-25, 2013.
* Ryan Suter (1-1-2) scored his second goal of the season on a power-play and added his 26th assist to record his sixth multi-point game of the season. The marker also stood as the first game-winning goal of the season for Suter, who leads Wild defensemen in assists and points (2-26-28) this season.
ARIZONA EARNS SHOOTOUT VICTORY AGAINST CHICAGO
Antoine Vermette (1-0-1) scored in regulation and added the shootout-winner to power the Arizona Coyotes to a 3-2 win against the Chicago Blackhawks. The Coyotes are 20-27-7 (47 points) this season and have earned points in eight of their past 10 games at United Center dating to the start of the 2009-10 season (6-2-2).
* Vermette's tally in regulation was his 12th goal of the season. Vermette has also converted on four of eight shootout attempts this season for a .500 shooting percentage. Two of those attempts have stood as game-deciding goals.
* Mike Smith made 36 saves through 65 minutes and additionally stopped two of three shooters in the shootout. He is 10-22-5 this season with a 3.26 goals-against average and a .896 save percentage. Smith is 2-2 in shootout scenarios this season and has stopped nine of 13 shooters for a .692 shootout save percentage.
* Oliver Ekman-Larsson (0-2-2) posted his second multi-assist performance of the season.
* Keith Yandle (0-1-1) registered his team-leading 35th assist of the season and extended his point streak to seven games (0-9-9). The streak is the longest point streak by a Coyotes player this season and is the longest active point streak and assist streak among all NHL players. Yandle, who leads League defensemen in helpers, also tied Tyler Johnson of the Tampa Bay Lightning for the longest assist streak in the League this season. Johnson recorded a seven-game assist streak (0-11-11) from Oct.14-28, 2014.
Los Angeles forward Marian Gaborik (0-1-1) extended his point streak to three games (1-3-4). ... Columbus defenseman David Savard (1-1-2) posted his second multi-point performance of the season. ... Columbus forwards Ryan Johansen (0-1-1) and Nick Foligno (0-1-1) each extended his point streak to three games (1-4-5 and 3-2-5, respectively). ... New Jersey forward Patrik Elias (1-0-1) opened the scoring after he was honored in the pre-game ceremony. ... Vancouver defenseman Dan Hamhuis (0-2-2) posted his first multi-assist performance of the season. ... Vancouver forward Radim Vrbata (0-1-1) extended his point streak to a season-high six games (2-5-7). ... Chicago forward Marian Hossa (2-0-2) recorded his second consecutive two-goal game. Hossa hadn't recorded back-to-back two-goal games was Jan. 19-20, 2013 (4-1-5). ... Chicago forward Jonathan Toews (0-2-2) posted his seventh multi-assist game of the season. ... San Jose forward Logan Couture (0-1-1) extended his point streak to three games (1-3-4). ... The San Jose Sharks acquired goaltender Evgeni Nabokov from the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday for future considerations. ... Claude Ruel, who was part of seven Stanley Cup championships with the Montreal Canadiens, passed away on Monday at age 76. ... Minnesota Wild goaltender Devan Dubnyk, Anaheim Ducks right wing Corey Perry and Montreal Canadiens center David Desharnais were named the NHL's "Three Stars" for the week ending Feb. 8.
Support WBOB Sports