Ryan L. Fox
Welcome PawSox fans of all ages to WBOB’s PawSox Notebook. With every game mattering right now in the 2018 IL Season, the Pawtucket Red Sox continue to fight on for a spot in the postseason. With the IL North Divisional title pretty much out of reach, the team begins the fight for the coveted wildcard spot in what was their final long home game stand of the season.
What’s Been Going On Lately
August 13 – August 19
Looking to keep their red hot August momentum going, the PawSox opened up the week with a 3-game home series against the Norfolk Tides. However the first game of the series on Monday was postponed due to rain, forcing Tuesday to become a double-header day.
In Game 1, the Tides jumped all over on PawSox starter RHP Chandler Shepherd. The Tides got on the scoreboard first thanks to an RBI single by 1B Garabez Rosa in the top 2nd inning to make it 1-0. In the following top 3rd inning, Tides RF DJ Stewart hit a 2-run home run off of Shepherd to push the Tides lead to 3-0. An RBI double by DH Sam Travis in the bottom 4th inning helped pull the PawSox within 2 runs. But in the top 6th inning, Tides DH knocked a solo home run off of Shepherd to make it 4-1. The PawSox offense was stymied as the Tides took the first game on the final score of 4-1.
In Game 2 of the doubleheader, it was the PawSox who overwhelmed the Tides. PawSox DH Brandon Phillips got the game going with an RBI in the bottom 3rd inning, giving his team an early 1-0 lead. Two innings later, LF Sam Travis knocked a 2 RBI single into left field to push the lead to 3-0. An RBI single by CF Rusney Castillo in the bottom 6th inning pushed the lead to 4-0. PawSox starter RHP Mike Shawaryn pitched the whole game, holding the Tides batter to just two hits (both by 3B Luis Sardinas) and no runs as the PawSox won the game on the final score of 4-0.
The two teams met on Wednesday for the series finale as both teams were eager for the win as well as winning the series. The Tides got on the scoreboard in the top 2nd inning thanks to grand slam by CF Mike Yastrezemski off of PawSox starter RHP William Cuevas for the early 4-0 lead. The PawSox answered back with a RBI single by DH Rusney Castillo to cut into the lead and make it 4-1.
In the top 7th inning, the Tides got an RBI by LF Jacycob Brugman followed up with an RBI single by 2B Adiran Marin to make it 6-1. The PawSox answered those two Tides run with a two runs of their own thanks to a 2 RBI by CF Tzu-Wei Ling to make it 6-3. But in the top 9th inning, Yastrezemski put the game out of reach with a 2-run home run off PawSox reliever RHP Bobby Poyner as the Tides won the game on the final score of 8-3 and rolled out of McCoy with the series win.
On Thursday, the PawSox welcomed in the Durham Bulls to kick off 4-game weekend series.
In the series opener, the PawSox jumped all over Bulls starter RHP Zach Lee in the bottom 1st inning. 3B Brandon Phillips got the first run of the game with an RBI single to center field to make it 1-0. Then LF Sam Travis added his own RBI single to make it 2-0 in favor of the home team. Then two batters later with the bases loaded, 2B Ivan De Jesus Jr. cleared them all with a grand slam to make it 6-0. De Jesus Jr. added an RBI single in the bottom 5th inning to make it 7-0 while CF Rusney Castillo added his own RBI single in the bottom 6th inning to make it 8-0.
The Bulls were able to avoid the game shutout with an RBI by LF Jason Coats to make it 8-1. In the top 9th inning, 1B Nathaniel Lowe took PawSox reliever RHP Trevor Kelly to yard with a solo home run into right field to make it 8-2. The Bulls then were able to get men on both first and second base but ultimately stranded them there as the next two batters got out, ending the game and giving the PawSox the 8-2 victory.
On Friday night, the two teams met again. Like in the Thursday game, the PawSox were the ones to score first. In the bottom 2nd inning, DH Sam Travis knocked a 2-run home run into center field off of Bulls starter RHP Forrest Snow for the early 2-0 lead. Three batters later, RF Cole Sturgeon tagged Forrest with a solo home run of his own to extend the PawSox lead to 3-0.
The Bulls were able to cut into the PawSox lead with an RBI single by DH Brandon Snyder in the top 4th inning to make it 3-1. However the PawSox answered Snyder’s RBI with an RBI by C Dan Butler in the following bottom frame to make it 4-1.In the top 6th inning, Bulls CF Austin Meadows was able to hit a 2-run home run off PawSox starter RHP Josh A. Smith to pull the Bulls within striking distance, 4-3. But in the bottom frame of the inning, Sturgeon helped push the PawSox lead up to 5-3 with an RBI double into center. The PawSox bullpen held Bulls batters to 0 hits after Smith’s departure as the PawSox won the second game on the final score of 5-3.
On a Saturday that saw the area get battered by rain and thunderstorms, the PawSox and Bulls braved the tempest to play the third game of the series. For the first 5 innings of the game, both teams could not find a solution to get past the pitchers they were facing. It wasn’t until the 6th inning that the game’s first run was scored. Unfortunately it was the Bulls who scored first thanks to a two-run home run by 3B Brandon Snyder off of PawSox reliever RHP Matthew Gorst to make it 2-0. Three innings later, C Nick Cuiffo hit an RBI single off of PawSox reliever RHP Bobby Poyner to make it 3-0. The PawSox batters themselves were stymied by the Bulls pitchers as they could only manage just 4 hits for the entire game. The Bulls were able to come away with the 3-0 victory, avoiding a series sweep in the process.
On a cool Sunday afternoon, the two teams met again for the series finale. PawSox starter RHP Justin Haley was able to keep the Bulls off the scoreboard for the first 4 innings of the game, racking up 6 strikeouts against them. However in the top 5th inning, Bulls RF Jason Coats knocked a solo home run into left field to give his team the 1-0 lead. The PawSox offense couldn’t get going until the 8th inning when they got men on first and third with only one out. However the next two batter got out to end the threat. The PawSox tried to rally in the bottom of the 9th but with a man on third and two outs, 3B Ivan De Jesus Jr. flew out to right field as the Bulls escaped with a 1-0 victory.
With the 1-0 loss to the Bulls, it eliminated the PawSox from contention for the IL North Divisional title.
Where They Stand
After finishing up their long home stand, the PawSox are currently in 3rd place in the International League North with a record of 59-65 (.476). They are 33-31 at home while going 26-34 on the road and have gone 6-4 in their last 10 games.
After their loss to the Durham Bulls this past Sunday, the PawSox are official eliminated from contention for the IL North Divisional title
In the Wild Card Standings, the PawSox are 7.0 games behind the Columbus Clippers, who have a 67-59 (.532) as the elimination number for the PawSox from the wildcard spot is now down to 8 games.
Just the Stats Jack
The following statistics are from players currently playing on the PawSox Triple-A squad as of 8/19. This excludes players who were called up, traded, currently on the disabled list, or currently on the temporary inactive list.
At the Plate
(*=min. 175 at-bats)
- CF Rusney Castillo leads the team in games played (109), at-bats (438), runs scored (54), hits (144), extra base hits (34), RBIs (56), total based (188), stolen bases (13), and batting average (.329)*,
- SS/Util. Tzu Wei-Lin leads the team in on-base percentage (OBP) (.375)*, slugging percentage (.479)*, and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (.855)*
- INF Ivan De Jesus Jr. leads the team in walks drawn (32) and hit by pitch (6)
- OF Aneury Tavarez leads the team in strikeouts (90). He is also tied with teammate 1B/OF Sam Travis in team lead in home runs (8)
Start You Pitchers
(*= min. 70.0 IP)
- SP William Cuevas leads all starters in innings pitched (122.1), strikeouts (105), and WHIP (1.19)*. He is tied with teammate Josh D. Smith in leading all starters in wins (8)
- Smith leads all starters in ERA (3.01)*, game appearances (24), hit batsmen (9), walks allowed (39), opposing batting average (.233)*, and strikeouts per 9 innings (9.0)*
- - SP Chandler Shepherd leads all starters in game starts (22) and no decisions (8). He is also tied with teammate SP Justin Haley in leading all starters in losses (8)
- SP Mike Shawaryn leads all starters in complete games (1) and complete game shut outs (1)
Outta Da Pen
(*= min. 10 appearances)
- RHP Fernando Rodriguez Jr. leads the bullpen in innings pitched (59.1), bullpen starts (6), walks allowed (23), and strikeouts (65). Rodriguez Jr. is also tied with teammate LHP Robby Scott in relief wins (3). Rodriguez Jr.and Scott are both tied with teammate RHP Marcus Walden in leading the bullpen in relief losses (3)
- Both Walden and Scott are tied with teammate RHP Bobby Poyner in leading the bullpen in hit batsmen (2). Scott and Poyner are both tied in leading the bullpen in holds (7)
- Scott leads the bullpen in ERA (2.03)*, game appearances (41), strikeouts per 9 innings (12.4)*, games finished (15), and opposing batting average (.200)*
- Poyner leads the bullpen in WHIP (1.10)* and saves (5)
The following PawSox player transactions took place from August 13 to August 19
August 13, 2018
- Placed RHP Travis Larkins on the temporary inactive list
August 14, 2018
- Received RHP Brandon Workman from Boston (MLB)
August 15, 2018
- Received SP William Cuevas from Boston (MLB)
August 16, 2018
- Placed C Mike Ohlman & OF Kyle Wren on the 7-day disabled list (left calf strain for Ohlman and right knee contusion for Wren) retro to August 15
- Received C Dan Butler from Boston (MLB)
- Reinstated INF Ivan De Jesus Jr. from the 7-day disabled list
August 17, 2018
- Sent RHP Trevor Kelley to Portland (AA)
- Reinstated RHP Travis Larkins from the temporary inactive list
August 18, 2018
- Sent RHP Brandon Workman to Boston (MLB)
- Reinstated OF Aneury Tavarez from the disabled list
Currently With Pawtucket
As of right now, there are no Boston Red Sox players rehabbing down in Pawtucket at this moment.
Previously Rehab Stints with Pawtucket
- SP Drew Pomeranz (April 8 - April 10) (July 2 – July 24)
- SS Xander Bogaerts (April 24 - April 27)
- RHP Tyler Thornburg (April 30 - May 7) (May 16 – May 24) (June 5 – June 27)
- INF/OF Brock Holt (May 7 - May 8)
- 2B Dustin Pedroia (May 14 – May 25)
- RHP Hector Velazquez (May 21 – May 24)
- RHP Austin Maddox (May 18 – May 30) (June 2 – June 5)
The PawSox will have the following Monday off before heading out onto the road for an 8-game road trip in upper state New York.
They first begin a 4-game series over at Frontier Field in Rochester, New York against the Rochester Red Wings from August 21 to August 23. This includes a double-header on August 21 with the first game being a make-up for a game postponement back on July 15. Currently the Red Wings lead the season series 8-4, including going 3-1 at home.
After the series with the Red Wings, the PawSox will travel further west to Buffalo, New York for a 4-game series against the Buffalo Bisons at Coca-Cola Field from August 24 to August 27. Currently the season series between the two teams is even at 8-8. However the Bisons had a 4-3 record against the PawSox at home.
Read More 990WBOB