Ryan L. Fox
Welcome PawSox fans of all ages to WBOB’s PawSox Weekly Notebook, a weekly guide to all what’s happening with the Columbus Avenue Crew (aka, the Pawtucket Red Sox). It just seems that right now, the team is on a hot streak right now at home, winning 11 of their last 13 games played at McCoy dating back since May 23. Guess you could say they’re enjoying some home cooking over at McCoy right now. If they keep this up, there might be a few playoff home games come September.
A Week in Review
Finishing up their series finale with the Durham Bulls, the Pawtucket Red Sox went up early 3-0 on home runs by LF Bryce Brentz and DH Allen Craig. However the Bulls ended up scoring 5 runs during the course of the game to win 5-4. The series marked the final match-up between the two teams as the PawSox ended up with a 5-2 season series record against the Durham Bulls.
The team then traveled back to McCoy Stadium to begin a 7-game home stand with International League North divisional rivals Syracuse Chiefs and then the Buffalo Bisons.
In dominating fashion, the PawSox swept their 3 games against the Syracuse Chiefs. This also included a doubleheader on Wednesday, June 7, to make up for rainout on Tuesday, June 6. The PawSox outscored the Chiefs 16-1 for the entire series, attaining a run differential of +15, the most against an opponent during a 3-game series this season.
After finishing up against the Chiefs, the PawSox then welcomed in the Buffalo Bisons for a 4-game weekend series.
Things started off with a bang for the PawSox as they trounced the Bisons 11-0 on the Thursday, June 8, evening game. The 11-0 shutout was their 3rd shutout game of the week for the PawSox as well as their 8th shutout game of the year. They added another W in the win-loss column with a 7-3 the following Friday, obtaining their 10th straight home victory of the year. However the streak ended on Saturday, June 10, as the Bisons got runs in the 8th and 9th innings to take the game 3-0.
On Sunday, June 11, the PawSox finished out the series with a 3-2 victory over the Bisons. Both LF Bryce Brentz and 1B Steve Selsky each homered in the victory while SP Marcus Walden picked up his 6th victory of the season, going 6 strong innings while allowing just 2 hits, 1 run, and striking out 3 Bisons batter.
Where They Stand
Currently the PawSox are currently in 4th place in the International League North with a record of 30-28 (.517). The PawSox are 9.5 games back behind the divisional leading Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, who are sitting at 42-21 (.667). In the Wild Card Standings, the PawSox are 4.0 games behind the current Wild Card leader, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders, who are sitting at 35-25 (.585).
Just the Stats Jack
The following statistics are of players currently playing on the PawSox. This excludes players who were called up, traded, currently on the disabled list, or currently on the temporary inactive list.
At the Plate
(*=min. 85 at-bats)
- OF Rusney Castillo leads the team in at-bats (199), runs scored (34), hits (57), total bases (92), stolen bases (9), and batting average (.286)*. He is also tied with teammate 1B/3B Matt Dominguez for team lead in games played (49)
- OF Bryce Brentz leads the team in home runs (10)
- OF Steve Selsky leads the team in RBIs (29), slugging percentage (.504), and on-base plus slugging/OPS (.830)*
-OF/DH Allen Craig leads the team in on-base percentage/OBP (.382)*
- 1B/3B Jantzen Witte for team lead in walks drawn (25)
Start You Pitchers
(*= min. 45.0 IP)
- SP Henry Owens leads all starters in games started (11), hit batsmen (5), and strikeouts (62)
- SP Marcus Walden leads all starters in games won (6)
- SP Hector Velazquez leads all starters in ERA (1.29)*, WHIP (0.82)*, opposing batting average (.189)*
- SP Shawn Haviland leads all starters in innings pitched (64.1) He is also tied with teammate SP Kyle Kendricks for lead among starters in games completed (2) and shutouts (1)
Outta Da Pen
(*= min. 8 appearances)
- RHP Kyle Martin leads the bullpen in game appearances (16), strikeouts (25), and holds (5)
- RHP Noe Ramirez leads the bullpen in saves (3) and games finished (11)
- RHP Austin Maddox leads the bullpen in ERA (1.32)*
- RHP Brandon Workman leads the bullpen in WHIP (0.83)* and opposing batting average (.132)*
- LHP Edgar Olmos leads the bullpen in wins (3), innings pitched (28.2), and hit batsmen (3)
The following team transaction took place from June 5 to June 11
- Placed RHP Chandler Shepherd on 7-day disabled list (right forearm) retro to 6/4
- Reinstated RHP Shawn Haviland from disabled list
- Sent SP Brian Johnson to Boston (MLB)
- Received 1B Sam Travis from Boston (MLB)
Red Sox Rehab Watch
Currently there are no Boston Red Sox players on major league rehab assignment in Pawtucket right now.
After a day off on Monday (6/11), the PawSox will hit the road for a quick trip to Syracuse, New York, to face the Syracuse for a 4-game series (including a doubleheader on 6/13 to make up for a rainout back on May 5).
Then the team will head back on home for a weekend series against the Rochester Red Wings (6/16-18), which also includes a doubleheader on 6/17 to make up for a rain out back on May 15.
Read More WBOB
Unbiased, Unfiltered. WBOB's Original Reads feature our brightest and boldest personalities, offering their two-cents on the goings on of news, sports, politics, entertainment, and business. -- Are our opinions always PC? Nope. Are they always perfect? Nah. But, are they always 100% authentic? Absolutely!
Read More WBOB