During this global pandemic it seems as though professional football teams have become as bored as everyone else stuck in the house, and we’ve seen a lot of new uniform designs being thrown out there with some highly produced pump up video for it. Some of the designs look good, and some are just ugly. That made me think, what are the best uniforms in North American sports history? I’m not a uniform purist, and I definitely don’t have an eye for fashion, but I’m still going to give it a shot. Here’s my top five ranking, I’m sure this will get very contentious:
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Creamsicle: This uniform made the list due to it being so bad that it’s actually good. The creamsicle is a pale orange jersey with white helmet and pants. The color combination has never been tried out for any other team before, and I think my appreciation of its uniqueness is what helps it to squeak into my list. Man this Tampa team sucked.
4. Notre Dame Football: The Fighting Irish have been known for decades for not only having a great football program, but great uniforms as well. Their gold on navy color pattern may not sound amazing on paper, but it looks great on the field. The aspect of the uniform that really brings it home for me is the helmet, the gold reflective helmets are some of the coolest in football, and it made it impossible to keep them off my list.
3. Vancouver Grizzlies: Many people may not even realize that the Memphis Grizzlies once resided in beautiful Vancouver, but they did and the uniforms this team produced were awesome. The light blue jerseys with the big funky lettering, cool designs around the trim, and a big grizzly palming a basketball on the shorts are my favorite basketball uniforms ever. I have one of these jerseys myself, I just think it was a great uniform especially during the 90s. Memphis has been bringing them back as of late, and they still look as great as ever.
2. San Diego (LA) Chargers: Yes, it’s the powder blues. They are some of the boldest, and loudest uniforms we have ever seen. I don’t personally think these uniforms get the love they deserve, because the Chargers aren’t exactly a historic franchise. If they were, I think these uniforms would make everyone’s top five list. Keep your Cowboys uniforms, I’ll take the powder blues all day.
Tiger Woods’ Sunday Red:
Orlando Magic 1990s: Houston Astros 1980s:
Toronto Raptors 1990s: New Jersey Nets:
Chicago Blackhawks Home Red:
Denver Nuggets Rainbows:
1. New York Yankees: I absolutely hate doing this, and as a Red Sox fan this pains me but the Yankees have the best uniforms of all time. The black pinstripes on the white uniforms just look so clean and professional. I’ll never wear a Yankees jersey, but I’ll admire it from afar because they’re the nicest jerseys around. It shows that it’s not always about flash, sometimes the simplest design is the best. When you see these uniforms, you know you’re looking at a legendary franchise.
Read More 990WBOB
Unbiased, Unfiltered. WBOB's Original Reads feature our brightest and boldest personalities, offering their two-cents on the goings on of news, sports, politics, entertainment, and business. -- Are our opinions always PC? Nope. Are they always perfect? Nah. But, are they always 100% authentic? Absolutely!